Victron Energy LiFePO4 Battery 12.8V 180Ah Smart
Victron Energy LiFePO4 Battery Smart batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries and are available in 12.8V or 25.6V in various capacities. They can be connected in series, parallel and series/parallel so that a battery bank can be built for system
voltages of 12V, 24V or 48V. The maximum number of batteries in one system is 20, which results in a maximum energy
storage of 84 kWh in a 12V system and up to 102 kWh in a 24 V1) and 48 V1) system.
A single LFP cell has a nominal voltage of 3.2V. A 12.8V battery consists of 4 cells connected in series and a 25.6V battery
consists of 8 cells connected in series.
A lead-acid battery will fail prematurely due to sulfation:
– If it operates in deficit mode during long periods of time (i.e. if the battery is rarely, or never at all, fully charged).
– If it is left partially charged or worse, fully discharged (yacht or mobile home during wintertime).
A LFP battery:
– Does not need to be fully charged. Service life even slightly improves in case of partial charge instead of a full
charge. This is a major advantage of LFP compared to lead-acid.
– Other advantages are the wide operating temperature range, excellent cycling performance, low internal resistance
and high efficiency (see below).
LFP is therefore the chemistry of choice for demanding applications.
– In several applications (especially off-grid solar and/or wind), energy efficiency can be of crucial importance.
– The round-trip energy efficiency (discharge from 100% to 0% and back to 100% charged) of the average lead-acid
battery is 80%.
– The round-trip energy efficiency of a LFP battery is 92%.
– The charge process of lead-acid batteries becomes particularly inefficient when the 80 % state of charge has been
reached, resulting in efficiencies of 50% or even less in solar systems where several days of reserve energy is
required (battery operating in 70% to 100% charged state).
– In contrast, a LFP battery will still achieve 90% efficiency under shallow discharge conditions.
Size and weight
– Saves up to 70% in space
– Saves up to 70% in weight
– LFP batteries are expensive when compared to lead-acid. But in demanding applications, the high initial cost will be
more than compensated by longer service life, superior reliability and excellent efficiency.
– With Bluetooth cell voltages, temperature and alarm status can be monitored.
– Instant readout: The VictronConnect App can display the most important data on the Device list page without the
need to connect to the product.
– Very useful to localize a (potential) problem, such as cell imbalance.
1) To reduce required balancing time, we recommend to use a little different batteries in series as possible for the application. 24V systems are best built using 24V batteries. And 48V systems are best built using two 24V batteries in series. While the
alternative, four 12V batteries in series, will work, it will require more periodic balancing time.